Leola Hills is my little creative outlet. Here you will find tidbits about my {constant} home redecorating,
spiritual musings, various graphic design projects, & basic life betterment.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

the plan

Click this link to see my floor plan for the family room...http://urbanbarn.icovia.com/icovia.aspx?projGuid=89719A62-BCE2-4A8D-8B5A-FA65A5F2D588

I really don't like corner fireplaces. I really wish mine was centered on the wall. But it's not and we aren't going to be moving it, so I have to design around it. We plan on mounting the TV above it. Right now the TV is on a cabinet next to the fireplace and it just doesn't look the way I want. So it will go above the fireplace. That way the fireplace will be the focal point.

The couches I have in the plan are from Pottery Barn. See here. I don't neccessarily have to have those, but that is the basic style I am going for. Something to note is that everyone keeps telling me that if I am going to get new furniture then I should get leather couches b/c I have children. I don't really love leather couches, so I am torn. I prefer soft, inviting cloth. Leather is cold, dark, and I slide off it when I sit down. But it does seem to withstand the test of children. What do you think?

Now I am trying to devise a creative storage system for the toys. Ahhhh, toys, how they seem to clutter my life so quickly!

2 comments:

SJ said...

I have seen some fabulous ottomans that double as storage, or you could put built ins on that back wall and have cute baskets for toys.As for couch, go w/ what you like. We have both. The leather is by far easier to clean, but you have to watch out for sharp objects like pencils, that might rip through the leather. Fabric requires more maitanace, but I'll bet they have stain resistant fabrics to choose from. If you do go w/ leather, you'll want a throw blanket. Good luck!It looks great!

Adam said...

I have leather couches because my husband likes them. They are nice in some ways, but I still think fabric is cozier and more welcoming. There are all kinds of things that can still ruin leather: permanent ink, scissors or screwdrivers, nail polish, etc. Go with what you like. My rule of thumb is just don't spend too much with kids around--go with something you like but that isn't more valuable than your kids!

Karen